Thoughts on turning 24!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Yesterday, the third of December, I turned twenty four. How does it feel to be 24? A question I was often asked when I answered the phone from a well-wisher. Well, I should have answered, it feels old.

I have always had a problem with aging. Never with throwing a party or having a birthday, always just the fact that I had to do maths and add another number to my ever increasing abacus of life. All in favour of actually declining in health, height, brain strength and all other things that you have when you are young, say I! 

Thought so. Not a lot of I's in the crowd, now was there? If I could choose an age to be for the rest of my life, it would probably be this age, but with a few tweaks. I'm allowed to make tweaks right? 

Firstly, I would be 24, with the body I had at 21, the boyfriend (and love of my life) I currently have, the stamina to stay up, watch crap on tv and go out until 6 in the morning as I had at varsity (I think I burned out back then), the skin and no-care attitude I had at school and the innocence, playfulness, excitation and faith of a little child. Wouldn't it be great if you could alter your life like that?

In some instances it is possible....well most of it is. It just means hard work, patience, resistance and faith. 

I am grateful to have the years I have had. I am grateful for my wonderful friends and I am grateful for the life I have. Here's hoping I have many more! 

I got some great presents from my friends...Check it out!

  

The owl is from my dear friend Eleanor. I freaking love owls.
The handbag is from my Flip!
And the candle from Jenna and Eleanor respectively.


Next up, I got vouchers and this awesome chalkboard, which will look awesome in my new kitchen, from Tracy and Idele! Lovely!


This interesting 'chips and dip' holder was a present from my dear brother and his wife Angelique. 
Quite fitting, the newspaper theme, seeing as I'm a journalist, huh?

And the lovely roses are from dear Jenna!

Thanks to everyone who wished me well, who phoned, smsed, facebooked, tweeted, emailed, joined in the fun and sent smoke signals! I enjoyed my birthday thoroughly and I cherish each and every present!

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday!

k said...

happy belated birthday!!!

Haley said...

Happy birthday girl!! i love birthdays for the same reason you do, parties :) otherwise, the who aging thing is not a favorite of mine either. But hey, you definitely got some fantastic gifts! :) And the yellow roses put a smile on my face :)

Theme created by PIXELZINE