10 Things You Must Have in Your Home by Age 30

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Following yesterday's post about actually now owning a dining table, I did a bit of research on what you should own by a certain age. As if summoned, Elle Decor recently wrote an article on their website about the 10 Things you must have in your home by the time you turn 30. I'm 26 now, going on 27, so I thought I would use this article as a guideline to see how I fare.



1. Art You Love
"Start collecting when you're young—it doesn't have to cost a fortune, it just has to speak to you." - Tod Nickey.

I am a tad obsessed with nguni cows, and have posted quite a few of my cow pictures here on the blog before. Most of the 'art' in my house consists of cow pictures.

2. An Organised Bookshelf.
Sorted. That came with our house.

3. Matching Towels
I do not make the grade on this one. We have a few towels that fit together, but there are some from varsity, some from home, some from Flip's place. In the end, my friends won't judge me because I have mismatched towels.

4. A Plant
Hahahaha. Funny story. I can keep three dogs alive and I used to have real green fingers with the ability to keep any houseplant alive. Now? They die when I just look at them.

5. A Nice Mattress and a Headboard.
Still have three-and-a-half-years to go before I need to make this goal. I do need a new mattress though. And we've never had a headboard. Maybe I'll make one from old pallets?

6. A Collection
Check. I have a collection of misfits at my house - including a staffie, a jack russell, a pavement special and a husband.

7. Bathroom Accessories that aren't Plastic
I fail. Flip is the one who always wants to buy bathroom accessories, but I feel it's just a waste of money and it will gather dust.

8. A Favourite Candle (or the knowledge that you are not a scent person)
Vanilla Candles everywhere!

9. Two Bedside Tables
Halfway there. We have an old little bedside table and a bunch of them standing around the house. But none of them actually match. I fail Feng Shui.

10. A Luxurious Throw. 
You know those misfits I spoke about under number 6? Well, they don't exactly allow the luxury of a luxurious throw. It will either be eaten or covered in hairs within five minutes. But those throws at Loads of Living that look like faux fur...oh my goodness, one day I will have one.

In hindsight, this might seem incredibly superficial and like who the hell cares that I have certain ten things in my home when some people don't have enough shelter against the winter cold, but I guess if you burden yourself with all the worries of the world, you will never just get to enjoy your life.

........................................
Picture via Elle Decor
........................................

4 comments:

Claudz said...

Wow, I am pretty sure you have ticked off way more on the list than I ever did at your age.
I'm a little better now though.

Martina @ snapshotsandwhatnots said...

A collection of misfits sounds like a perfect collection to me! I might have to "borrow" this list and see how my house fairs up

Caley-Jade Rosenberg said...

Nice to see I'm not doing too badly with 1,5 years to go… I'm not an art fan just yet (but don't think I ever will be!), not a huge fan of books on show either, still working on a candle scent too!
x

Chereen said...

Oi… less than 2 years to go, and I've only managed to get the scented candle, luxurious throw (which was a gift, so does that even count?!), and 2 matching bedside tables down. Love this list!

Theme created by PIXELZINE