Remembering the small things

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Relationships aren’t always the fairytale story you see in romantic comedy films or those stories your mother read to you when you were just a little girl, dreaming of your prince charming. Please show by raise of hands how many of you actually kissed a frog after hearing ‘The Frog and the Princess’.

I didn’t. I did play with frogs though. And apparently, they gave me warts.

I digress. Relationships are about the little things we do for each other, the stolen kisses, the knowledge of his or her favourite drink, that little pick-me-upper on a bad day. It’s also in the great gestures.

I received these lovely flowers from Flip about a month ago. He delivered them himself, at my office. He likes to surprise me like that.

The romantic that I am, I just melt everytime and fall in love all over again.

The protea in the middle lasted a whole month. It’s just such an amazing robust flower. And it’s South Africa’s national flower.

The funny thing is, I used to dislike proteas. I thought they were ugly and old people’s flowers. But as fate would have it, on our very first date, Flip bought me a massive protea from a vendor and mixed in the euphoria of being in love and all over mushy, I got stuck on it. It’s now my favourite flower and I just love having them in my house.

Strange how emotions can change your perceptions over something, no?

Today, we celebrate another monthiversary and I couldn’t be happier.

***************
 
In other news, today is also my mother’s birthday. I have already sent her a couple of messages wishing her the best year ahead and thanking her for being such an amazing mother and friend. Hip hip hoorah!


 My mom and I at my 21st

4 comments:

Jenna said...

The flowers are gorgeous... proteas have become one of my favourites too :)

xxx
Jenna

Rebecca said...

Beautiful flowers. I've never seen a potea before, I like, it's different.
I hope your mum had a wonderful birthday.

LeeLee said...

lovely flowers.

Sue said...

Stunning pics, lucky girl to have such a wonderful, romantic man!!

And happy birthday to your mom too...

Sue x

Theme created by PIXELZINE